Monday, July 7, 2014

June Favourites

I did a lot more cooking/eating and obsessing over clothing (unusual for me) than indulging in makeup in June, which probably accounts for the lack of posts during the month. Having the house to myself as my parents were overseas also meant exploring my more domestic side, sometimes to laughable results, sometimes in ways that were pleasantly surprising. I can now pan fry a salmon fillet skillfully enough that I wouldn't want to order it at a restaurant. On the other hand, I still can't bake anything successfully the first time. The oven is a temperamental beast.


Chloé Love, Chloé
I don't think I could have anticipated just how much I love this fragrance. It's not like anything from the fruity or floral family that I traditionally gravitate toward. It's distinctly powdery and soapy, but sophisticated, feminine, warm and enveloping. It wears extremely well in colder weather. In the summer, it might be a tad overpowering mixed with heat and humidity. The lasting power is incredible which is always a big plus.


Paddywax Gardenia & Tuberose Jar Candle
I can't even tell you how good this candle smells. If you enjoy gardenia scents that lean a little on the green side, you need this candle in your life. The scent fills the entire room and the wax burns forever. I debated for months whether to buy this after first stumbling upon it at a gift shop last December, but I'm so glad I ended up purchasing it. One of my absolute favourite candle discoveries.


Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette
I told myself repeatedly I didn't need this. That I had enough eyeshadows. That I probably already had all the colours in the palette already. When it first came out, I was disinterested and determined not to fall for the hype. But we all know how the story ends — with me forking out $68.95 at Kit Cosmetics one weekend. But you know what? I don't regret it. Yes, some of the colours have annoying fallout (Gilded Ganache, Black Forest Truffle), they're not uniformly smooth and pigmented, I'd rarely wear some of the shades (Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet) and I probably don't need two massive highlighting pans, but overall, this palette has impressed and delighted me. My newest favourite eyeshadow combination is Crème Brûlée (such a standout, slightly dirty yellow gold) and Hazelnut, though I appreciate the inclusion of versatile matte shades for less shimmery options.


Bourjois Little Round Pot Blush in Rose Éclat
While rounding up my top autumn/winter blushes, I rediscovered this little gem from Bourjois. I'd previously overlooked it in favour of other shades of the round pot blushes like Rose D'Or and Rose Coup de Foudre, but I've been reaching for Rose Éclat in the mornings to add some much needed life to my pastier-than-usual complexion. This one has just the right amount of warmth and rosiness without bordering on being too red/ruddy or fuchsia/cool-toned.

e.l.f. Studio Blush Brush
Most of my other well-loved blush brushes like the Ecotools by Alicia Silverstone Blush Brush or Real Techniques Multi Task Brush are round and fluffy, but this one provides a useful point of difference. With its significantly smaller size and flatter shape, it's excellent at placing your blush exactly where you want it, avoiding spreading colour over too large a surface and overdoing the intensity. Although it's quite flat, it still blends well and diffuses pigmented blushes with ease. At $8, you won't be breaking the bank.

48 comments:

  1. Great favourites :)The palette is gorgeous and packaging is lovely, shame about the fall out though. Although i would love to add this gem into my collection, i feel that i am at a stage where i have to refrain from buying everything as i have way too many palettes in my collection that i do not end up using. I do however love my Naked palette too which is well loved! I want to try out the ELF brush for ages but its always out of stock when i want to order it :(

    Thanks for sharing your favourites, I hope you have a lovely day! <3

    Ying ♥ || *- YingcBeauty-*
    X x X x X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get you, I feel like I'm at the same place with makeup and buying new stuff. I absolutely love all my Naked palettes and definitely find them worth the investment. Hope you get your hands on the ELF brush! :)

      Delete
  2. I want to try out the chocolate bar palette.

    RIKKI POYNTER
    // RIKKI POYNTER MAKEUP: The Deaf Side of Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! It's worth it in my opinion, though probably not essential if you're already swimming in eyeshadows :p

      Delete
  3. I wholeheartedly agree with you on Love, Chloé. I have a rollerball and I certainly didn't expect to like this judging it is too powdery. Well, it is good, lovely powdery that I can wear in lieu of Chanel No.5.
    I also like the e.l.f. blush brush. It is not for everything, but works wonders on some blushes of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the e.l.f. brush mainly for more pigmented blushes. Love, Chloé is probably the only powdery fragrance that I love and wear frequently :) Never was a major fan of No. 5 but a classic is a classic!

      Delete
  4. I love this palette, just posted it in my favourites too! http://www.rosieposiespuddingsandpies.co.uk/2014/07/these-are-few-of-my-favourite-things-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look of the chocolate palette! x

    SophiesMakeupBlog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one of my favourite makeup purchases of late!

      Delete
  6. I have been wanting the Too Faced chocolate palette for a while. The shades all look so wearable. I know that when one day when my will power is weak and when I walk into Sephora, it will come home with me eventually. Will have to try Chloe as I want to branch out my perfume collection(mine is all fruity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chloe grew on me, it wasn't instant love but now it's one of my most worn perfumes :) I know what you mean about predicting a future purchase when your willpower is weak - that's the way it always goes once a product goes on the wishlist :p

      Delete
  7. Great selection of favourites. That palette looks amazing.

    ​​​​​​Leanne @ Leanne-Marie ​ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne :) The palette is really attractively packaged but thankfully the eyeshadows themselves don't disappoint.

      Delete
  8. I've been wanting to try e.l.f. brushes for ages *off to peruse their website*

    Tori xx

    http://jutejamandjoy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only tried three of their brushes but for how affordable they are, I'm pretty satisfied. The Essential Blending Eye Brush is excellent!

      Delete
  9. I almost ordered the Too Faced Chocolate Palette, but then decided for the Lorac Pro.. it is still on the way to me from the US, but I can't wait xD!!
    Love chloe sounds great ! I will give it a sniff tomorrow at work ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like the Chloe perfume Pamela, though it can be a bit of an acquired taste. I would understand if it's not your thing :p

      Oooh, where did you get your hands on the LORAC Pro Palette? I imagine it's very difficult to track down!

      Delete
  10. Good to know about the fallout of those colors you mentioned. I just want this palette because it smells like chocolate, lol. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, mine doesn't smell that strongly of chocolate. I was expecting it to be heavily fragranced but maybe I just got a reformulated version or a lighter scented one? :p

      Delete
  11. I really love the Elf studio brushes, they're so affordable! The Too Faced palette looks amazing too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, e.l.f. brushes are great value and good quality :) Loving the Chocolate Bar Palette, so glad I bought it even though I have an excess of eyeshadows and palettes haha

      Delete
  12. I've been a really good girl and I haven't craved for the chocolate bar palette :P I wanted because of the burgundy and because of the purple but after getting the nude tude from thebalm, I knew that I shouldn't spend 50€ on a palette just because it had neutrals that I really didn't like and a colour shade. I'm more into getting their new version of the Natural eye or waiting and crying for the kat von d saint or for the loran unzipped palette.

    That blush is so pretty! I've been thinking about getting another boujois blush but I'm not really sure. Adn that brush looks really nice!

    And I know what you mean about baking. I tried to make cookies the other day and things didn't went well at all. TwT

    Anyway, Take care*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, LORAC Unzipped looks right up my alley. I think if you have theBalm NUDE'tude palette then you probably don't need the Chocolate Bar one, especially if you're mainly attracted to a couple of the shades.

      Baking is so tricky! It's all about knowing how to operate your oven properly ... I guess practice makes perfect :)

      Delete
  13. Great favorites! I love looking at the Too Faced Chocolate Bar but I don't think I'll cave and buy it (having no money is a pro sometimes). Yes, the oven is a beast.

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sometimes budgetary constraints are for the best :p Boo at the oven ... one day I will tame you.

      Delete
  14. Oooh, I've not heard of the Paddywax candles before! I bought a bouquet of gardenias from the markets at Uni and it made the whole house smell divinely floral and fresh; one of the best floral scents! Good job being domestic! I haven't learnt to cook fish yet- I guess it'll happen in time. :P Imma have to pick up that blush brush for real now- I walked away the first time and since then it's always been sold out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of Paddywax before either until randomly stumbling across them at a gift shop near work. There were a whole bunch of candle scents but this Gardenia + Tuberose one was definitely the standout. Oooh, fresh gardenia bouquet? That sounds amazing.

      Delete
  15. What a great bunch of favourites!
    I want to try the Chloe perfume now, it sounds incredible!
    Great post! x
    Stephanie | from greenteawithstephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you manage to have a whiff of the Chloe and you like it!

      Delete
  16. The ELF brush needs to be in my life. I've pretty much "finished" building my brush set, but I'm hoping to retire a Sephora powder brush that I got from a set four years ago and is starting to feel scratchy. Hopefully this could serve as a good replacement. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The e.l.f. is a bit flat/stiff and not very fluffy/rounded, but I find it works well enough to blend out product if you press harder on it against your skin. I definitely have enough brushes but there's always ones that creep up into the wishlist, plus I can't resist cheap & cheerful!

      Delete
  17. I've used the chocolate bar palette in all of my recent looks and I love it! My other neutral palettes get no love because of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about it that makes you want to keep going back to it!

      Delete
  18. I have been wanting the Chocolate Bar palette since it came out, but I can't bear paying nearly $70 for it. I'm hopingggggggg it's cheaper at Sephora once it opens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I was cringing at the price but considering I shelled out a ridiculous $83ish for Naked3, it was positively cheap in comparison :p Ooh, Sephora's opening here?! I am totally out of the loop. I'm expecting everything to be super overpriced as usual though! :\

      Delete
  19. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have much luck with the oven...
    Ahh, your featuring of candles will be the death of me, I swear!
    Love, Chloe also sounds lovely - I remember sniffing it a long time ago, but can't recall what it smells like - you've piqued my curiosity once again :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's so weird I'm having all these candle discoveries. I still wish I picked up that Sweet Apricot and Orange Blossom by Ecoya candle that you bought!

      Delete
  20. I've been loving that TF palette too, I just reviewed it tonight actually! I need to get my hands on that ELF brush, what a bargain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your review, great swatches! :) I bought my e.l.f. brush from Kmart, it's pretty cool they started stocking the brand.

      Delete
  21. Oh that palette looks stunning, I can totally see why you had to have it! I don't even wear eyeshadow & I'm currently lusting over it haha!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the shadows would look gorgeous on your lids :)

      Delete
  22. That Too Faced Chocolate palette is calling my name! x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  23. The elf studio brush sounds like something I need, and $8 is more than reasonable. My eyes reacted badly to the Too Faced palette, but the colors are so pretty! I wish it worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no ... that's too bad you had a negative reaction to the palette :\ That sucks! $8 is definitely not too bad a price for a blush brush :)

      Delete
  24. I'm with you on the Chocolate Bar Palette!!! I can't get enough!!
    xo Holly xo

    HollyDolly. 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really such a lovely palette, even though I have an excess of eyeshadows and palettes, I'm glad I caved and bought it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...